Ah! Spring is in the air!
I just got back from Washington DC where the signs of spring were everywhere. The weather was cooler than I like but pleasant none the less. The sidewalk cafes were bustling with eager patrons enjoying great food and the blooms of the splendid cherry blossoms made it picture perfect! (The history of these magnificent flowers).
This weeks article “5 Spring Cleaning Tips For Your Online Business” is a list of things you should be doing as you enter the 2nd quarter of 2012.
Like everything else in your life, your online business needs a good cleaning, at least once a year. Time to get rid of the things that you no longer need and tweak the things that are contributing to your success!
Here are 5 things you should do as you begin the 2nd quarter of 2012:
- Website Audit: review every page and every link on your website for outdated content like dates that have past, links that are no longer working, images that need updating, forms that need tweaking, keywords that need updating etc. (If you are using WordPress for your site, here is a great plugin in to help with link checking)
- Financial Audit: are the things you have been spending money on these last several months still serving a purpose in your business? Review paid subscriptions, memberships, etc and if you are paying for things that you are not using or that are no longer meeting your needs, considering cutting them off then revisiting at a later date.
- Revenue Audit: identify the products, services etc. bringing in most of your revenue to identify any spin offs and opportunities for passive income or new marketing opportunities. Further, if you find products and services not bringing in any revenue at all, consider using the space/time/energy devoted to those items to others that might have better results. (this will take some testing)
- Social Networking Audit: check all of your social network profiles to ensure the information and links are all up-to-date and accurate. Also, check to be sure any call to action leads to where you want your connections to end up. In other words, if you have any content that invites someone to see something specific, check to be sure you are directing them specifically to that place and not to the home page of your website.
- 2012 Plan Audit: remember the plan you made at the end of last year for 2012? This is a good time to dust it off and do a review to see where you are with the plan. If you have no plan, then this is a good time to sit down and put one together for the rest of the year! What have you accomplished form that plan? Are you on track to fulfilling your goals etc. Rewrite goals if necessary. Add new ones etc. But, don’t beat yourself up if you are not where you planned to be. Instead, take the time to figure out what you need to do to get there and keep on trucking…..
One of the lessons I’ve learned is that taking the time to review your online business on a regular basis is critical to your success! Think about it: if you had a bricks and mortar store, you would be doing similar audits to stay on top of your inventory, sales, customer issues etc. Your Online Business requires the same kind of attention if you want to see it grow and succeed.
To your online success!