I have been on island a week so far and have managed to get in some R and R. The kewlest thing is that I have been able to keep right on working using some great tools.
This weeks article “7 Tips for Working Successfully When Working Remotely” is a brief overview of things to consider when you must work remotely, which is common among successful online business owners.
Many online business owners, and business folks in general, find themselves having to work from all kinds of places at all kinds of hours! Business travel, vacations, family emergencies, playing hooky etc.
The great news is that there is little if anything that cannot be done remotely!.
These are 7 Tips that I use to work successfully when I have to work remotely:
- Invest in a sound reliable laptop or an iPad with a keyboard, that networks with your main computer. (If your main computer is a laptop, I highly recommend a second one for use when you travel and as a regular backup). Before your trip, be sure to load all of your files to your travel machine or a portable drive. I recommend you do both for safe measure.
- Create a Google Voice or Skype account for use if you must leave the country or your phone does not cover all long distance charges. If you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch there are a few free phone apps you can download.
- Invest in a wireless printer that lets you send documents to your home printer for safe keeping as necessary. Off course you could email documents to yourself but this ensures they never get lost! Trust me on that one
- Create an account that lets you log into your home computer if necessary – remember to leave your computer on when you leave. Two that I use are LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.
- Ensure you have all of your passwords etc. stored online somewhere or, on a jump drive that you take with you. I recommend creating a password protected document that you store on your travel machine as well as storing a copy with an online storage service like Mozy or Files Anywhere, Plaxo etc. Be sure to protect the document with a very strong password!
- Find out well in advance, what internet options you will have and plan accordingly. Do not take for granted you will have easy, free and reliable connectivity every where you go. Even paid access can be unreliable so take the time to learn about other nearby access spots etc.
- Create and schedule posting of as much content as you can before your trip to allow for any eventualties that might hinder your progress.
Because I do quite a bit of traveling to some great places with varying services, options etc. I have relied on these tips to keep be connected and keep me working as necessary.
To your online success!