In my “other life”, once a week I load up my SUV and make the trek to a local market where I ply my wares for 5 hours. This for me, as well as being profitable, is therapeutic, as it gets me out of my house, where I have been stuck for over 7 years, working from my home office tucked away from the world!
A few weeks ago, my trek to the market became a lesson in closing the deal, taught to me by a 7-year-old!
Long story short: family friends, including two of their kids, accompanied me to the market and pitched in at my booth. Throughout the day, I watched their amazing 7-year-old daughter sell items to person of every demographic: male and female, young and old and across all ethnicities.
What was most amazing, was how she did it. (I did say she was only 7 years old right?)
Here is a list of what I observed:
- she consistently approached everyone who crossed her path (so long as she was not already engaged)
- she began every exchange with the phrase “would you like to see what I have to sell today“
- she looked every person squarely in the face
- she remained focused and on message despite many distractions that are inherent in such an environment
- she counteracted every objection
- she explained flawlessly and with confidence why the product she was offering would benefit them (even if they said they did not need it)
- she suggested ways they could use it (as a gift , just for fun etc) if they did not want it personally
- once she had described her product and the benefits, she immediately asked how many of the items they wanted, without missing a beat!
- she was gracious when she did not close the sale (which did not happen often)
Here is what I learned or was reminded of by this 7 year old (did I say she was amazing?)
- know your product like the back of your hand
- know the benefits of your product
- be confident in your presentation
- remain focused and on message despite any distractions
- assume that the deal is done and act like it
- show appreciation for the time taken to listen
- be specific when asking for the sale
Although I knew these methods work, watching this kid implement them reinforced the notion that no matter what we are selling, they work the same.
So, if you are not closing the deal, perhaps you can try listening to this amazing 7 year old!
To Your Online Success!