Did you know that Facebook has removed the majority of its cover image restrictions, without fanfare?
Businesses and developers spoke and finally, Facebook listened! Many in the industry were upset when these stringent rules were included in the roll out of the new timeline as it rendered many custom apps useless. Further, it seem to limit the “socializing” since there it was no longer acceptable to encourage liking or sharing etc. Whatever the reason we are glad Facebook saw the light!!!
This relaxing of the rules makes it easier for businesses page owners to use this highly visible real estate for promoting the very things Facebook prohibited in the past. You can now include sales info, web address, details about your products etc!
More specifically, with these new rules, your Facebook timeline cover images can now include:
- Your business contact information, including mailing and e-mail addresses, telephone information, products details or other valuable information about your business or brand
- Sales information, including the price and purchasing information
- Calls to action like “Sign-Up Now”, “Get It Now”, “Buy now,” “Share”, “Tell Your Friends”, “Contact us,” “Click Below” etc.
- Instructions for Facebook users including “like” or “share,” as well as images of fingers, arrows etc pointing from your cover image to those options.
Although most of the restrictions no longer apply to Facebook cover images, there are some that still do and a few new ones. Here are two that I think you should be aware:
- Text can only occupy 20% of the cover image area.
- You may not encourage people to upload your cover to their personal timelines.”
I recommend you review the complete Facebook Guidelines to ensure you are in compliance and avoid any issues with your page being banned or removed.
Given this news, will you be modifying your Facebook timeline covers to take advantage of the relaxed guidelines?
To your online success!