Yesterday was America’s birthday and today is the birthday of my first child. Although it was more than 30 years ago, I remember it like it was a few hours ago! There were complications that forced me to sleep through the entire birthing process, although I did manage to experience some of the excruciating pains of labor, before I was knocked out! The thing I remember most was the first time I saw her gorgeous, huge eyes and having this great feeling of accomplishment! I remember thinking at that moment, what an incredible human being she would become and how much fun we would have along the way! Thankfully, that has turned out to be true!
This weeks’ article, Future Thinking Decision Making encourages making business decisions where you want to be and not where you are.
In my Free Telecourse “5 Pillars Of A Successful Online Business”, one of the takeaways is the idea that you need to have a “full-time” attitude even if you have a “part-time” business! In other words, you cannot see your business as it is, but as you need or want it to be!
Why does future thinking decision making matter?
Imagine if you limited your thinking to where things are in your business. How would you ever plan for the next great opportunity? Or the next phase? Or for that matter, the next customer who might demand a little bit more than you initially thought? Dare to think even of the resounding success your online business will enjoy, much sooner than you expected.
Bottom line is that you must approach your business from a place of anticipation so that you are ready to meet the increased successes and challenges head on.
In a recent article, “How To Mange Change In Your Business”, I share 7 great tips. To add to that, here are 5 things you should consider when you think about where you want to be instead of where you are:
- Goal setting: dare to set goals for your business, in specific terms. I recommend short and long term goal setting. Include in those goals specific actions you will take to achieve each goal. Then be sure you are taking the necessary action. Remember, setting the goal is the easy part. Reaching the goal takes work. So be realistic and be prepared to do whatever it takes to make it happen.
- Transitioning to full-time operation: most online business owners (including moi) start while working a full time job. Dare to envision what life would be like when it becomes your full-time income generating venture! Make sure you understand local laws and other legal stuff so when the time comes you are ready to make your move! Most importantly, be sure you understand just what is required of you in terms of time, level of commitment etc.
- Managing technology and internet changes: be sure you stay on top of your industry and technological changes that might affect how you do business. There is nothing that turns off a visitor to your online business like broken links and missing information. Be sure you understand enough about your business so that you yourself are able to recognize when something needs fixing or updating, even if you do not know how to do it yourself!
- Investing for the future: ensure you are setting aside resources for investing in the growth of your business. If you are a service provider, factor in outsourcing cost into your pricing; if you are a product provider, what resources will you need when your sales triple etc. More storage space, more hands on involvement which might mean more help at home, more supplies at a better price etc.
- Directional Shifting: many online business owners start out with a generalized operation. As their business grows, they find that they have developed a niche. Be prepared to make a shift in your service or products when that happens. Or, if you start out the other way, as a niche business but then see the need to expand or change that niche, be sure you understand when and how to transition without hurting your business.
Thinking ahead and anticipating success in your online business will go a long way in giving you the confidence you need to keep going and, in helping you to be open to changes and challenges, and give you a greater sense of control when you confront the two!
To your online success!