Everyone knows how important having a website is to any business. Right? Whether you are a hair salon, a non-profit, have a local presence, offer B2B (business-to-business) or B2C (business-to-consumer) services or products, have a global presence, it does not matter. You need an online presence and, your website should be viewed as your virtual storefront and sometimes, your only introduction to prospects and customers.
So, why then does a 2011 survey by 1&1 Internet indicate that there are still as many as 40% of small to medium sized businesses without an online presence! If you are wondering why your sales or foot traffic are down, the answer could lie in the fact that your competition has an online presence and is courting your prospects and customers!
Whether you’re embarking on building your first website, or if your existing site isn’t getting the traffic or leads needed to sustain your business, you are no doubt asking yourself what it takes to have a great website and get found online.
Your website isn’t worth the cost of the hosting package if no one visits it. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is critical to any online presence, and it takes consistent work and a good strategy when aiming for increased traffic.
Like every other business on the internet, we all have the goal of reaching the #1 position in search engines but, just like everything else, there is only one top spot so not everyone can make it there for every keyword or phrase. So how does a website get a high ranking?
According to many SEO “experts” Off-page search engine optimization (SEO) is the most important factor to increasing your ranking results.
Off-Page SEO is about building inbound links, essentially getting other quality websites to link back to you. Search engines call this authority or “link juice.” The more inbound links you have, the more important your site must be, thus the higher you’ll rank. ~ Hub Spot
Link building, when done right, can be challenging since adding links to other websites is often out of your control. These tips will help get you on the right track to increasing your organic (non-paid) search engine results.:
- Publish relevant, educational or entertaining content. When people like your content, they will naturally want to share it using a link back to it.
- Submit your website content to online directories. This is an easy way to start. Here is a great list to get you started:
- Write guest posts for other blogs. This is a win-win situation for you and the guest writer. People like having additional relevant content from others and in exchange, it’s a great way to build inbound links.
- Researching link building opportunities with other websites, but always check the authority of the websites that you are trying to get links from. (There are many tools online that allow you to check domain or page authority) Here is one that I like which offers additional SEO tools for your website.
- NEVER buy or barter for links.
To Your Online Success!